Friday, August 12, 2011

A Piece of Apizza in New Haven


Did you know that in New Haven, CT their pizza isn't called pizza, it's called Apizza?  That's pronounced like A-Pete's (no "A" sound at the end).  And, did you know that New Haven style Apizza is made with thin crispy crust and a variety of delicious sauces and toppings?

Well, in a recent work trip to New Haven I got to try some authentic Apizza and it was fantastic!  That's a lot to say coming from me as a tride and true New York City pizza fanatic, but it really was good.  We went to Frank Pepe and ordered a small white clam pie, a small fresh tomato, a small original and a liter of Birch Beer, which is a lighter version of Root Beer and it's a New Haven thing - Yum!  Here are some pics:

White Clam Pie

Fresh Tomato and Original
The white clam pie was my favorite.  It tasted like linguini with clam sauce on a pizza without the linguini.  The clams were really tasty and fresh and the crust was nice and crispy.  The summer fresh tomato was really good as well.  The original wasn't my fave because it didn't have any melted cheese on it, just sauce and some grated parmesan.  It was good, but not as good as the other two.

Overall, a great apizza experience in New Haven.  I highly recommend!

2 comments:

  1. Yum- I also love white clam pizza! In Columbia Heights in DC I often head to Pete's New Have Style Apizza for the delicious clam pizza and wild mushroom pizza. Here's the site: http://petesapizza.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I know this is quite an old post but I'd lived in/around New Haven for well over a decade... nobody calls it "A-Pete's" just "pizza" the same way anyone else would. The only time I've ever heard that was on the Food Network where some voiceover guy said we pronounce it that way (which came as a surprise to a native) and subsequently people making fun of the Food Network. I could see tourist-driven locations (such as Pepe's, which winds up on the Food Network, Travel Channel, etc) wanting to promote that "fact" as a cute quirky oddity but it simply isn't true.

    ReplyDelete