Thursday, November 5, 2009

Beijing in T-1

Off we fly to Beijing tomorrow! I don't think it's quite sunk in yet that I will be in China with Mike for the next 16 days, but it's starting! I'm beginning to feel those butterflies of excitement in my tummy, and it's really cool.

Bejing is a fascinating city. It is the capital of The People's Republic of China and there are about 17 million people who reside there. (WHAT??) It is a city full of history and progressive movement. I am thrilled that we are going to Tian Anmen Square where the infamous 1989 protests occurred. I remember seeing footage on the news and not quite understanding what was going on because I was only 9 years old...
Beijing means "northern capital" and has been renamed many times. Some people still call Beijing "Peking" although the Mandarin dialect (which is the National language) pronunciation is "Beijing." It is the second largest city in China after Shanghai, and is recognized as the political, educational, and cultural center of The People's Republic of China.

Beijing hosted the 2008 Summer Olympics and we all remember how fantastic the opening ceremony was! I couldn't believe how skilled and disciplined those hundreds of performers were. It was truely amazing. If you missed it, you're crazy, but you can watch it on our video of the week.

Sidebar: I know I haven't posted a video of the week in ages, and I apologize, but I never find anything that I like. If you have videos that I should post, send them to me!!!

I could go on and on about Beijing and about all the other wonderful places we'll be visiting, but I won't. Instead I will leave you with this Chinese proverb: yi xiang qing yuan!
Literally: Enthusiastic, but unable to.
Meaning: The person wants to do it, but is unable to...

Cause really, I gotta go! Catch ya on the flip side....in China!

No comments:

Post a Comment