Monday, January 25, 2010

I Want a House!

So my new obsession is looking at houses on trulia.com. Mike and I are beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel (meaning that we can leave DC soon) and lately have been searching for houses in the NYC area online.

It's really exciting to think about owning our own home and starting a family. At first we were only or mostly, considering Forest Hills, Queens because that's where we lived when we were in NYC and that's where my parents currently reside. Then after taking into consideration that we want to buy a house more than we want to buy a condo or co-op, we have begun to think about certain parts of Long Island where you can get a bigger house for around the same amount of money you would pay for a house in Queens. Unfortunately the property taxes are higher on Long Island, but there are other important factors to consider which make moving there the more sensible choice for us (ie. better school districts, more outdoor space, parking!!).

Houses are so pretty! Especially when you are searching in what I like to call "fantasy" mode. This is when I pretend that our price range is 900K and up and that we would like 5+ bedrooms and 3+ bathrooms. You wouldn't believe the houses that trulia has for me when I am in fantasy mode....they're freakin fabulous!

Back in the real world, the houses that are actually within our price range are quite lovely as well. In fact they're amazing! To think that we will inhabit more than 600 square feet, and that our closet won't double as Bella's play room while we're not home, and that we will have two floors and more than one toilet....it's almost too much to bear! Bella will be able to run around in the backyard, I will be able to watch whatever I want on TV while Mike watches whatever he wants -- in separate rooms!!!

It's funny if you actually think about it. I love Mike with all of my heart and soul, and yet I can't wait until the day when we can be in separate rooms, enjoying some alone time, yet still together under the same roof. In our current abode the only alone time we get when we're both home is in the bathroom.

Anyway, just wanted to share a bit of fun news. I can't wait to actually see some of these houses and step foot in them. Until then I will continue to search for my dream house and enjoy the fantasy of owning a home, which will hopefully soon become a reality. I'll keep you posted!

1 comment:

  1. I like Forest Hills too since I was partially raised there. Bayside and Fresh Meadows are also great options for houses, but further east.

    ReplyDelete