Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Take Action!

My parents just returned from a safari in South Africa and had an amazing time. Their pictures are incredible and their stories of the Bush, and the people, and of the animals they saw are jaw dropping.

I was in awe of how close they got to all of the animals, including elephants, zebra, giraffes, and a pride of lions that I believe amounted to 14 in all. The lions were magnificent. Their faces were regal, and their bodies were strong. They had just made a kill and were feasting, their bellies engorged...

After seeing the pictures my parents took, and after hearing their first hand accounts of how wonderful these majestic creatures are, it was extremely disturbing to watch 60 Minutes last Sunday and hear that lions are being killed in several countries in Africa by a poison called Furadan. Apparently, farmers whose cattle are being killed by the lions are buying Furadan to poison and kill the lions who are instinctively hunting their cattle to survive. I understand that the farmers are angry and they have a right to be, but they do not have a right to poison the lions.

So what can we do? We can take action and spread the word about banning chemicals like Furadan from being sold in Africa. Please take a moment and sign the petition. I don't know when Mike and I will get to Africa, but when we do, I would love to see a pride of lions roaming the Bush.

Take action here.

No comments:

Post a Comment