Saturday, October 24, 2009

KFC: Korean Fried Chicken

Have you ever heard of Korean fried chicken? Well, I hadn't either until my friend told me that the best fried chicken she ever had was at BonChon. BonChon is a chain of Korean fast food restaurants that are located in NYC and here in close-by Annandale, Virginia.

To locals around here Annandale is known as a very diverse town in Northern Virginia. I've heard it referred to as A-nan-da-le because of the amount of Hispanic people that live there, and I've also heard people call it K-Town because there are so many Korean people and businesses there. Call it what you want, but I like it. I like everything about it.

There are Korean BBQ's everywhere, pupuserias abound, and there's the BonChon!! Best fried chicken wings ever. The skin is super crispy, and I mean super crispy, and the place is just plain interesting. It's basically a bar with some tables and booths that serves Korean food and specializes in fried chicken wings...weird, I know, but great. BonChon is nothing fancy at all. There's classic rock playing which is is totally random and awesome, there are about six TV's with sports playing, and the waitresses are cute teen-aged Korean girls.

The service is terrible, and that's half of the appeal. You must know this going in. Prepare yourself for a slow paced meal. It takes them 35 minutes just to prepare each chicken wing order. You have two options with the wings: garlic and soy, or spicy. And when I say spicy, I mean SPICY.

Here's a rundown of what we ordered:
SPICY chicken wings and drumsticks (a mix of the two, medium sized)
French Fries (crinkle cut...yum)
Tofu with kimchee and fatty pork

The wings were hella spicy but really crispy and good, the kimchee dish was great with the tofu and fatty pork adding good flavor, and the fries were delicious and perfect for cooling your mouth off after scarfing down a few wings and some of kimchee dish. I've never seen Mike sweat like he did after trying his first wing. It was funny... sorry babe. You're a trooper!

Below are a few pics we snapped of the place and the food, and me texting my friend Grace (who's Korean) about the food. You should definitely try BonChon too!! Enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment