Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Silly Republicans




I think Forrest Gump said it best: "I am not a smart man."

I too must have a room temperature IQ, because I just don't understand the Republican way. For example, I don't get how there is something positive to say about Sarah Palin quitting her elected office and still maintaining that her future interest may be in shooting for the white house. Hello folks -- aren't we at all concerned that when the going get tough (or boring) the tough quit?

Next we have the objections to universal health care. Am I correctly understanding that the right's perspective is that basic health care should not be a right of all citizens of the wealthiest country in the world? Should Americans suffer or die from an easily treatable ailment simply because they are poor?

And what's the deal with Dick Cheney discouraging disclosure to Congress about the details of CIA counterterrorism activity. If I have learned anything in my job it is there is nothing that makes someone look more guilty than telling others, "Shhhhhh, don't tell anyone about this."

And worst of all, is there really any reason to rake Judge Sotomayor over the coals about a comment she made about a latina woman vs. a white man. Was it a dumb thing to say? Sure. Should it be the defining point of an otherwise stellar legal career? Of course not. And why am I (and fellow libs) the only one who sees a need to diversify the Supreme Court? Shouldn't the Court look to mimic the greater US population? And for pete's sake can I get a real African American instead of Clarence Thomas?

No comments:

Post a Comment