Wednesday, December 23, 2009

What's With The Lingo?

Many of you may not know this, but I am a social worker. I got my degree in social work administration and have been working in a management position for a non-profit called Experience Corps for the last two years.

On most days I really enjoy my work, but being that I am a normal human, I sometimes totally HATE it. On those days of hate I find myself becoming annoyed at everything. Emails piss me off, phone calls are irritating, and the things that people say around here, really get my goat.

For example:
When can we huddle up? - I am not an NBA star and you are not my coach. Simply asking when we can sit down and chat would suffice.

I need to download with you. - Although I find technology fascinating, I cannot stand it when people use computer or technological terms when talking about a human act, such as speaking. Instead try: I'd like to discuss or assess some issues with you.

Let me firm up with them. - The word is confirm. Please use it.

In terms of... - People are starting to use this phrase way too often and incorrectly at that! "In terms of my lunch being a sandwich, in terms of meals being food." In terms of SHUT UP!

We can talk about this offline. - When may I ask, will I be offline? Hmmm...

There are so many others, but you get the point. Besides, no one is in the office today so I am enjoying the bliss of silence.

2 comments: