Monday, December 28, 2009

Today's Gripe: Stupid Knee-Jerk Reactions

I hope this post doesn't land me on the TSA's no fly list.

I am having a hard time with the reaction to Christmas Day's terrorist plot aboard an international flight bound for Detroit. Since all's well that ends well I don't feel bad criticizing the newly implemented restrictions that have resulted in the wake of this latest failed attempt by the "evildoers" known as Al Qaeda.

There is no reason to scan my handmade Barker Black brogues (note -- those are my embarrassingly pricey shoes). There is no reason to prevent me from bringing shaving cream that exceeds 3.4 ounces in my carry on luggage. There is no reason to make me stay in my seat with nothing on my lap for the last hour of my flight. What all of these knee-jerk reactions have in common is that they cause real terrorists to think of creative ways to cause havoc subject to the newly implemented regulations. Am I the only one who sees this being the case?

While I generally disagree with law enforcement profiling this may be the exception. Am I the only one who has noticed that the 20 9/11 assholes, Richard Reid and this Nigerian fellow all have a few notable traits in common? All men. All young. All Muslims (at least I suppose). Is anybody taking bets that the next evildoer will fall into this general profile?

But at the end of the day I will be the one who suffers most. I fly a lot. And now I will not be allowed to keep a blanket on my lap for the last hour of my flight, despite the fact that the passed an FBI background check. I guess common sense ain't that common at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment